Old
09-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
So are these waivers for a mutual release? To my understanding that's what $125 waivers are, but I could be wrong. Either way, if he clears or he's claimed by someone else (very slim chance), he won't be Caps property anymore correct?
My understanding is that $125 is the cost for the claiming team (vs. thousands of dollars like other players I believe - kdb?) and these are unconditional waivers that permit buyouts and mutual releases (see: Gustafsson earlier this offseason and I think Matt Nickerson some years ago and Jon Sim last year, IIRC).

He won't be claimed of course, and once he clears he'll be a free agent - an autonomous player without restriction as some translators would suggest. I believe there's a clause somewhere that allows for mutual releases via this route and if not, I wonder if the Caps can claim on technicality that Kugryshev is in breach of contract and filed grounds for termination (even though there was an understanding between both parties).

There are plenty more here that are more well-versed in this than I am though, so corrections may be necessary.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote