Thread: News Article: Penguins new top-20
View Single Post
Old
09-06-2011, 09:23 AM
cassius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldblum View Post
Bennett shouldn't be above Despres at this point in time. His upside means that he could eventually be the better player; it does not mean we ignore Despres' accomplishments and Bennett's relative lack thereof. I don't agree that organizational needs should ever impact a prospect ranking.

In itself, this isn't a big deal. However, HF's process for choosing their league-wide top 50 prospects is that only the highest writer-ranked player available for each team will be discussed. Correct me if I'm wrong, Ian, but this is how it was done a few seasons ago when I last discussed it with the writers. Despres will not be eligible for a place in the top-50 until Beau Bennett is voted the best prospect available. That might not occur at all. Beau Bennett isn't a top-50 prospect right now. Simon Despres very easily is.

Again, this isn't a big deal, but I do look forward to reading the prospect rankings, so I'm somewhat disappointed that Despres' ranking will ultimately be determined by Bennett's. It wouldn't surprise me to see them go back-to-back, as Despres should be head and shoulders above all others by the time Bennett is voted in.
I'm with you 100%. Bennett has no business being ranked above Despres at this point.

Bennett has the pedigree, talent, and certainly fills an organizational need, but what has he accomplished so far? He also didn't look that hot during the recent prospect camp.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote