View Single Post
Old
09-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
But it does hold up. I must say, it really is awe inspiring to read the words of someone who has never been and likely will never be wrong. I just listed you a handful of guys who won major awards on teams that didn't make the playoffs, three of them on some of the worst in the league. Somehow, that doesn't matter because those guys CLEARLY should have won so in that case people will vote for them. But they will not vote for guys who don't deserve to win. So people only vote for guys on bad teams when they deserve to win? Great argument. Can't you just this once, admit that you are wrong? As far as the other players being on good teams, I'd beg to differ. You don't make the playoffs, you aren't on a good team.
So all teams that miss the playoffs are "crappy"?

The Padres team that Peavy won the Cy Young with won 89 friggin games! They were really good. Ryan Howard was playing for a Phils team that was playing meaningful games right down to the end of the season. The Dodgers are 12.5 GB in their own division (which isn't a very good division), and 14 GB for the WC.

I'm not wrong, you just want to present a poorly thought out argument, completely devoid of context. You also are ignoring the post just above where I made note of the fact that if you are on a "crappy" team you better be a "CLEAR" winner, such as Hernandez was with the Mariners. Your examples don't prove that it's easier now to win these awards on **** teams, it proves that when there are clear winners they win... we don't have a clear winner, and voters continue to show reluctance to vote for guys on crappy teams.

MVP award -- in either league -- hasn't gone to a guy on an actually crap team since A-Rod in 2003.

If you go through the Cy Young, it tends to be guys on winning teams... or indisputably superior pitchers. Tough to debate Randy Johnson when he's posting mid 2's ERAs and 330-370 Ks.

The influence of the teams Win Pct hasn't gone anywhere, and you hear/read it whenever the voters talk about who they're going to vote for. Is that fair? No. Is it the reality of it? Yep.