View Single Post
Old
10-24-2003, 05:55 AM
kutdacheez

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPenguins
I dont mean to disrespect Steve Konawalchuk, but couldnt we have come up with a comparable and decent package for the Avs? I would have thought we could have shipped plenty of Konawalchk type players to the Avs if it meant getting someone like Battaglia AND a good prospect in Jonas Johannson. If they wanted grit, we coulda shipped them Holzinger, Meloche, Webb or a whole host of other 3rd or 4th line grinders.
Colorado could have picked up Webb as a FA but didn't. Holzinger is one step away from where he played last year and where meloche plays now. The AHL. You give these three players way too much credit IMHO.

As to the Washington $parc, apparently Konowalchuk was told that he wouldn't be resigned next season, so this can't be a big surprise to him. Especially since the famed checking line hasn't played that well since Dalhen left the team two seasons ago. Konowalchuk was dropped to the fourth line right before the trade. So, IMHO all-in-all, McPhee made an okay trade. Batts Battaglia is not more nor that much less than Konowalchuk and basically what Washington got was an unsigned (pretty good prospect) in Jonas Johansson (who, BTW plays at Kamloops with Erik Christensen) and if they don't sign him get a second round choice from Colorado. The $parc also gave up a third round pick.
I see the deal as almost even . . . with the $parc holding a good edge if they sign Johansson.

Quote:
I can understand the Avs dealing with an Eastern conference team. I kinda wish it was ours
I don't see anything that the Penguins could do to be in that deal for a win-win for both teams. And why would you want Bates Battaglia, anyway?