Thread: Confirmed with Link: JVR Signs Contract Extension
View Single Post
Old
09-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
You have no idea what the defense will look like in 3 to 4 years.

But I can say with more certainty that allotting cap space for Schenn and Couturier will be an issue in 3 or 4 years if we are planning on still contending. Therefore, it's best to go for a long term steal with JVR than have to give up big money when his short term deal expires.

If we gave him a 3 year deal for $3m per year, that would very likely mean giving him a $5m deal some time around when we will have to be extending two young blue chip forwards and an established star in Giroux.

That would be irresponsible cap management. Not this.
OK. Lets do some simple math.

3 x 3 = 9.
3 x 5 = 15 (and only an upgrade of 750K over his current cap hit in those years).

That's a total of 24M, and less than the contract JVR just signed. So, you've just spent less money, and you view that as "irresponsible cap management." I'm sorry, that's just baseline stupid, dude. If you want to argue that his 3rd contract would be some 6+M deal or whatever, then maybe we can talk, but not at 5 friggin M when you're already paying him 4.25M and he hasn't even proven he deserves that.

In the interim, you've gotten more cap flexibility short term, which, lets face it, this team needs EVERY *ing year... This is tied to the fact that this team faces a severe team construction problem in that its two key defenders are already on the decline (who knows with Pronger) and you only have a couple of more steps up to the plate before the D is going to need to be completely overhauled. Thus, the cap situation the next couple of years is really really important.

Next year, when JVR's contract starts, you have 51M currently committed, and need to sign two defenders that can play with Coburn and Carle expiring. Lets just say that whomever fills those two roles is going to come in at something like 7M - now we're at 58M. Lets say Voracek blows up next year... now you have your Schenn and Couturier scenario NEXT YEAR, and by everyone's admission JVR is getting overpaid today for what he's accomplished to this point.

The entire reason to lock guys like JVR, at this point in their career, into these types of deals is if you are getting assured cap savings -- i.e. below market value if that player becomes what you think he's going to become. Claiming that this contract accomplishes that is complete crap.

This deal may very well work out great. I suspect that it will. But the Flyers should have done better at this point in time in the deal they signed with JVR. Which is exactly what they did with Giroux, and why that was a good contract and this is a poorly done one.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote