Thread: OT: Kronwall expectations
View Single Post
Old
09-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Run the Jewels

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
I can see how they would think that for the purposes of the salary cap but I think the more important issue is recovering the production of the now retired Rafalski. I feel like the Wings would rather count on Kronwall to lead that operation than Ian White, regardless of the contract negotiations. Production like Rafalski's seems to require a good and early start. Playing Ian White a lot early on is a plausible experiment but the Wings need to win and I'm sure they want to put their best foot forward since they seem to be big believers in the 20-25 games benchmark.

I believe Kronwall is the main guy for that issue and I think that if he stays healthy he'll step up because he senses that the team really needs him and it's a contract year for him. It'd definitely be a luxury if Ian White were to burst right out of the gate and potentially soften the hit Kronwall's future cap hit will cause but I think the biggest story this year in terms of the dmen is a promotion for Kronwall, especially with Lidstrom's retirement on the near horizon.
Yeah I pretty much agree with this. I think you keep a top pairing at ES of Lids and Stuart and allow Lids to do his thing. Second pairing is probably Kronner and either E or Commodore. I can see White on the third pairing but of course the defensive pairings will get alternated a bit.

For the PP pairings it makes sense to get Lids and Kronner out there together. The only thing in White's favor is the right handed shot. Let's not forget Rafi was a very gifted offensive defenseman before injuries derailed him. I am not sure White is quite near that level of production but we'll see how he does on a team like Detroit. He had solid point production for the Sharks during the playoffs.

Run the Jewels is online now   Reply With Quote