View Single Post
Old
09-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Edges7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Point B is a reason to skew point A. If a 20 year old in the Q doesn't get his pro contract, he's basically done. If a 20 year old in the USHL doesn't get a pro contract, he's got 4 years in college to prove he's at least ECHL quality.
A Q player can still play college in Canada - I have a friend who is an asst @ McGill and they are all over the QMJHL for players - and he can still be invited to pro development camps which all teams have now.

Quote:
Not to discount anything, but one would think a person would then put together that their play in college actually helped them make the pros, not the USHL, comparitively.
A valid point and one I loosely subscribe to. However, there is a counter school of thought which believes that college play is often a step down and it's only a handful of high profile programs from which such players emerge.

There is also a school of thought which believes that the USHL simply pays lip service to being a pro development league and that a more accurate statement would be that it's a step in the development of pro players. Frankly, tho, it's the same for the CHL. A large % of the players drafted, no matter from what league, aren't going to step on NHL ice as a player. FWIW, I agree with that POV.

Quote:
I think the whole USHL drafted player totals are fooey to be completely honest.
Well...you are arguing in the face of reality. Those players WERE drafted.

Here's a list that I've found in the meantime and there are several very good players on this list [feel free to double check my numbers]:

http://ushl.com/nhl/

Quote:
I get why USHL fans bring them up(it seriously helps their CHL/USHL argument), but if you remove the NTDP from the numbers(and one SHOULD...as these kids do NOT play a 60 game USHL schedule...even though they've only been in the USHL for what..2 years? It's still added about 18-20 players to that "total") and go on PURE USHL players being drafted, I'm quite sure the numbers would tumble quite a bit.
the "NDTP" issue is certainly a valid one for this year's draft but looking back it does not hold true every year.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote