View Single Post
Old
09-11-2011, 01:53 AM
Bank Shot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo17 View Post
Again, you're missing the point, I am in no way arguing that these players were unknowns or no-good but that they were undervalued around the league.
I guess I would give Detroit and San Jose more credit in these instances.

Detroit found Samuelsson and got solid production out of him for $1.2 million. That's moneypuck. Gillis paid the guy $1.3 million more, for an extra ten points of production. Detroit clearly got the better value.

San Jose picked up Malholtra at what? $700,000 in training camp when no one wanted him. Thats money puck. Gillis acquired him the year after his profile had risen around the league and paid the going rate for top defensive centers. Not money puck.

San Jose was the first team to actively mine Germany and has found some players like Ehrhoff that were underated at the draft. They got a bunch of cheap years out of him as he developed, then were forced to trade him when he started making too many dollars. Money puck. Gillis traded for him after he was already developed, and getting paid well. I don't see what is so money puck about that.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote