View Single Post
Old
10-24-2003, 12:00 PM
Laperriere22*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Well he did get a penalty for goaltender interference, and that is an intentional penalty. Don't get me wrong, if I were a St. Louis fan I would be happy my power forward was intimidating the opposition goaltender and only drawing a minor. Tkachuk could have avoided Tommy easily but that's not the hardnosed game that Keith likes to play. I was dissappointed that one of our bigger Oilers didn't exact payback and run him legally, of course, and then tune him up for good measure. From an Oilers' fan viewpoint Keith Tkachuk had it coming.

And yes going to the net is a good thing but running a goaltender isn't.
Well, the penalty he got for it was questionable in my mind. I can live with the call though. But, being called for a penalty doesn't mean he ran Salo. It means he made contact with Salo and the refs deemed he had not been helped (which he hadn't). Making contact with Salo was unavoidable because of the angle Tkachuk had to take the get some space between himself and the defenseman to try and score off the pass.

If the Oilers had gone after Tkachuk, I'd have no problem with that though. Making contact with the goalie is good enough reason to go after a player in my book and though I'm a Blues fan, I don't bother defending Tkachuk's actions too often. But, in this case, I didn't see him looking to hit Salo at all; it was just the end result of that scoring chance.