View Single Post
Old
09-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I like your post, but I've noticed a lot of guys saying we have offensive depth.

Sorry to be neg and rain on the parade, but I disagree. I'm more worried about O than D. Yet Again.

While I love AK, DD, Eller and Max, all four are huge question marks this year. All four could fail utterly. Except for AK to a degree, they have not proven at all that they can produce 3rd line points over a full 80 games in the NHL. They just have not done this.
Sure, half of our top 9 could do absolutely nothing, and that would hurt us. You know what, apply the same logic for every team. You can come up for reasons to doubt just about every single player in the game. That doesn't make it a fair or reasonable expectation.

Quote:
DD? I love this kid, but really, let's wait and see. 30 points would be great.
Ya, 30pts would be great. He had 22 of them last year, so really, explain why this would be unreasonable to expect? I don't think people are thinking DD will get 40-50pts. Such expectation would be over the top.

Quote:
Eller? I also love the guy, but I have absolutely no confidence that he will become a money player yet. None. When I think of offense this year I do not even include him. Sorry, harsh, but there it is. He did not score points last year. Yes his D, skating, smarts, and aggression was fantastic, but he just does not finish. At all. Really really low production of points, and I think that's a problem. Yes I know blah blah he did not have the minutes, but what, 7 points? Come on! Love the guy but 30 points from Eller is not depth scoring this year.
So, because he didn't score last year (according to your standards), he will again finish with 17pts (he had 7 goals, not 7 pts. He finished with 17pts)? Will he also play 77games, have only 79shots, be -4 and average 11:08 minutes of ice time?? You don't believe in progression? Or are you saying he will have even less points??
Your saying his D, skating, smarts and aggression were all fantastic, but for some magic reason, he will continue to lack finish? What if he's paired with guys like AK-DD for most of the year instead of scrappers? Would that help?

Again, nobody is expecting Eller to break off with 20G and 50pts, but increasing his production would be great. He will be a 3rd center, if his production can be somewhere in the 30s, then it's already good. Why should you expect less? Because he got 17 in his rookie year??..Makes no sense.

Quote:
Max? I hate to say anything neg. I really do. Max is the Wolverine. But let's see how it goes. I am so pissed at what happened to him last year, and I'm not sure any player just walks away from that. That **** just never every happened to almost any guy in the NHL. I love Max, but 30 points would be my prediction. Or 90, but hey, I'm neg as you can tell.
90 would be an unrealistic and foolish expectation. MaxPac scored 24pts in 37gp last year. I don't know why you feel 6 extra points over a full season is all he'll be able to provide. Expecting so little is expecting the worse for him. He's part of the top 6, he'll be getting top 6 minutes, playing with good players, he's been ready to play since last april as he would have come back versus the Caps had we beaten the Bruins. A reasonable expectation would be for him to crack the 40pt plateau. An amazing year for him would be the 50 plateau.

I'm not expecting an amazing here, just a good one, which should be around 40ish.
Quote:
AK? No trust at all. I don't know here he is. I love him too, but I could wager 20 points and gone by March, or 50 points. I'll go with 30 points on the third line with him.
20pts? 30pts?? I really don't get why people think so little of AK, it's mind boggling.
You do realize AK has never (that's right, NEVER, in his entire career!) produced at a rate under 40pts/season? You do realize his career average is one of 47pts over 82gp??
So what you're saying is that you expect AK to have his worst career year to date..
Geez, and then you wonder why people peg you as being negative??..Come on dude.
Quote:
What does this mean?
It means you're expecting pretty much the worse out of everybody. Your expecting these four players to regress in terms of production rate, with the exception of Eller that you fill will have a similar year.
Quote:
The so called 'depth' third line by my thinking may well be looking at 90 points this year. That's about 30 points less than a depth third line should have.
Find me one third line in the NHL that scored 120pts. If you find one, then keep finding others, and then tell me, how reasonable is your evaluation of third line production.
Seems to me like your setting the bar quite high for 3rd liners. Last year, the 60th-90th centers scored between 37-27pts. Only five of them average under 14minutes, none under 13min. For wingers, it varied from 30-16pts.
So if we are to add the 60th center, as well as the 60th Left and Right wingers, you'd get 97-98pts, not even cracking the 100pt mark.

So, explain to me why you expect 120pts out of your third line???
Also, if you expect that, it must mean you view this as a normal expectation right. So, if you only find a couple of teams with that power, what you're saying is that your standards are pretty much at the cream of the crop level..
How is that a reasonable expectation exactly?
Quote:
And Max might play with Gomer. All year. Yes, all year. I could see both of them doing absolutely nothing this year, because Max got ****ed by Chara, and Gomer is just nowhere.
Again, why would they do absolutely nothing?
Gomez just had a career low year, why would you expect the same thing from him? If you look at his stats, you clearly see this past season as an anomaly. Why would that become the norm for him? It is only for people looking at it negatively.

MaxPac got destroyed by Chara sure. That happened last April and he's been practicing for quite some time. His neck is fully healed and he suffered a minor concussion. Will it leave psychological trauma?? Possibly. It might take him a few games to get back in it, weeks, months, etc. But you could also say MAxPac will be fine. As you said, we don't know. So, expecting a slight increase in production due to the fact he will be here for a full season is normal.
Quote:
We could end up with a 110 point second line, when a depth second line should get you 150 points.
Sure. We could also end up with a 150pts second line..

Don't expect the worse, don't expect the best. Go for the middle. 125-130pts would be good for a 2nd line.

Quote:
Conclusion? I could easily see an 70 point deficit from line 2 and 3 this year. Easily. Bottom third of the league in goals. Again.

It's a bit early to say we have O depth. Really early.
It really doesn't matter if we're bottom third in the league. What matters is the goal differential.

Quote:
Sorry guys. I will wait until 40 games in. You can all torch me now, but I have zero confidence in Habs offence right now.
Fine, you're allowed not to be confident. Doesn't mean you have to expect half of our top 9 to see a regression, as well as Gomez having yet another career low year.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote