View Single Post
Old
09-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Jetsfan79

vCash: 500
The blatant snubbing of Curt Keilback

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...129707588.html

I was shocked and miffed to find out today that Curt Keilback was not even interviewed for the PBP position at 1290. I understand he still may not have been chosen, but this not the way to treat the guy who was the quintessential voice of the jets, has a broadcast booth named after him, is a fan favorite and is widely respected from others in his field across the continent.

1290 confirms that the hiring process was primarily done from Toronto and Bell and not at local level which is ridiculous (but not surprising).

And before anyone tells me fans wanting Curt back is going backwards for the team and is all nostalgia driven, think again. The man is an excellent announcer. Even if you throw all of his Jets history out the window and judge him on his ability today on talent alone , he is still miles ahead of Munz. His vocal presence is just amazing and generates excitement. I cannot comprehend why he wasn't even interviewed especially since he has been a semi-regular contributer to 1290 in the past.

What I'm about to say may be controversial, but I truly believe this was all due to unadulterated favoritism and corporate arrongance from Toronto trying to show it's muscle in a"small market". I hope it's not sign of things to come for 1290 sports radio. I don't want to feel that I'm getting a toronto perspective of everything. Yes Munz has local ties but it was still a decision heavily influenced from Toronto and not at 1290.

In the end, I understand the idea of going in a new direction and having a fresh start. I would of been fine (albeit disapointed) if Curt was interviewed and didn't get the job. The point is he wasn't even interviewed. (???)

I also believe theres more to Curt's departure from CJOB and his stint with the coyotes than we know about. You don't just name a broadcast booth after someone and the go out and fire him. Something fishy here I think.

I wish him all the best.

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 09-13-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Jetsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote