Old
09-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
That's not exactly what it means. But that number helps a little bit. Still, GTG and GWG are extremely bare-bones. For example, putting your team up 3-2 in the 3rd period of a game you eventually lose 4-3, or scoring the only goal in a 1-2 defeat, is more significant than scoring the 6th goal in an eventual 7-0 victory. GTG and GWG do not comment on any of those situations.
Somewhere out there are stats that keep track of goal differential when a goal is scored, I'll see if I can dig it up. I'm at work, so no promises though. Others might have those sites handy.

Using NHL.com and last season, 9 of Carter's goals were first goals, and 7 were game winning goals. I can't find his gametying goals with a quick browse, but I recall that it's something similar. even assuming that his gametying goals is 7 (I believe it's more like 12? Maybe? I don't really know and could easily be wrong), it means that 21 of his 36 goals were pretty important to the game.

Another popular bash on Carter is the "oh, sure, he only now scores on an empty net" comment I've heard many times. He had only 2 empty net goals last season, and 1 the year before. So much for that.