View Single Post
Old
09-13-2011, 07:13 PM
mpp9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
They can do minor stuff, however, to make the actual gameplay more realistic, or closer to what you'd find in an NHL game.

For instance, I'm playing as the Pens. When I let the computer handle my defense (I usually just control the center until my team gets the puck back), guys like Michalek and Martin are no better positionally than my bottom pairing of Niskanen and Engelland. They don't block any more shots, don't break up any more passes, and get beat or leave a man alone just as much, as the bottom pairing guys, despite their ratings.

This is an area where EA can improve the gameplay from one version to the next. Make a guy like Paul Martin programmed to be really good as defensive positioning, and a lot harder to beat than a guy like Deryk Engelland.

This also applies to the various designations for forwards. Whether they're grinders, snipers, or playmakers, they all act the same way when they're on the attack. I don't notice playmakers going out of their way to pass, pass, pass, even when shots are available. I don't see snipers getting consistently into scoring areas with a frequency that the other two designations can't match, and I don't see grinders forechecking like beasts any more than the other two types of forwards.

Minor tweaks, where if the computer AI is handling these players (as opposed to the player's control over them), there's an obvious distinction between good and bad players, and types of players.

If you're only handling one player then that's your problem. You don't want to overdo it and chase the puck around your own end but there is most certainly a difference between engelland and martin when breaking up a play. The computer isn't necessarily going to be doing it on its own. I like it that way.

Playmakers vs. snipers doesn't mean much to me. If they're rated decently then they're going to have hands so you can make the chancier plays with them. Max talbot's toe drag takes a millenium to do, whereas Malkin is smooth as silk. I don't think EA will ever try and make each individual player play to their realistic ability via computer control. That's pretty nuts.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote