View Single Post
Old
09-13-2011, 09:59 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
I haven't read all the responses yet but to me the hockey season is a marathon not a sprint.

At the beginning of the year you put together a team that you feel will be competitive and let them play. As the season progresses you evaluate your players to determine strengths and weaknesses. The injury situation is also a wildcard that may require roster adjustments.

Trying to predict the level of play, the inconsistencies, the surprises, the disappointments and the injuries before the season even begins is almost absurd. By the time the trade deadline approaches you will have a good idea of what you might need to do (if anything) to improve your chances.

IMO what Gauthier has done is exactly that. This team should be competitive from day one... maybe not dominating but certainly competitive. And in this era of salary caps that is all you can ask for. By giving himself some cap flexibility he can adjust the roster more easily to improve the team... and he will have a better idea of exactly where that improvement is needed.

So I would say sit on the $4 million until it becomes clear where it will provide the greatest benefit.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote