View Single Post
Old
09-14-2011, 07:38 AM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
One thing that has impressed me about DM (in truth, I was not happy with the pick at first) is that he seems to have quick and agile feet. I consider this a necessary tool for someone who will be a defense-first defenseman. It will allow him to react quickly, position himself well, and close the gap with opposition forwards.

What I have been looking at in these games is not so much results as tools. Though he has struggled, I have seen enough from DM to think that he will be, at least, a 3rd pair D man in five or so years. He is a true project and diamond in the rough. As much as I still long for Fowler and Gormley, I am feeling more and more comfortable with the gamble the Rangers took here.

As for the captaincy, Ranger player development staff seems to believe strongly in putting players in positions where they can grow, be pushed, and succeed. So much of it seems psychological head games. The logical choice would have been Hagelin, but I think Ranger management was sending DM a strong hint that they believed in him. They were forcing him to grow. From listening to him and watching him on the bench, I think it is, for the most part, working. Perhaps the message is that it is not only standing up for your teammates on the ice that conveys leadership, but how you carry yourself off the ice.

alkurtz is online now   Reply With Quote