View Single Post
Old
09-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
That's what I see from him, too: a third pair defenseman. I, however, am hardly fine with that. It's what I expected when he was drafted, and that expectation hasn't changed, unfortunately. You don't take third pairing defensemen with the tenth pick in the draft.

You want to talk about looking for tools? These three games, he has simply reinforced what was already clear from his junior play. He's missing the most important tool of all: brainpower. The kid has no sense of gap control. Talented puckhandlers can blow by him or walk around him several times a game with ease because he doesn't understand where he needs to be located in relation to them in order to be able to successfully eliminate the possibility of their advancement. His physical gifts allow him to carry the puck in transition, but he has no idea what to do with it once he arrives in the zone. Several times in this tourney, he's gained the zone and lost the puck almost immediately. So not only is that an offensive zone turnover, a wasted offensive zone opportunity, but now the other team has an odd man rush against with one of your defensemen stuck up ice. Bonehead play.

These are the same issues that plagued his game 2 years ago. There has been hardly any progress on that front, and why would there be? He continues to rely heavily on his size advantage when playing junior hockey rather than developing a skillset.
Its still relatively early in his development, but this is what I see as well. Most of the MSG fans are gonna love the guy cause he'll be a big bruising force on the back-end.

I just cant envision him logging 25 minutes a night, or being trustworthy enough to play beyond the 3rd pair. But hey, things can change.

Just not what you want from a top 10 overall draft pick.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote