View Single Post
Old
09-14-2011, 11:42 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge27 View Post
At the end of Martins contract, Morrow will only be what, 23? Hopefully Desperes will mold into a 3-4 D player, and Morrow can slide in as 5-6 guy like GoGo and provide some offensive spark on our back end, while not being horrid in his own end. I would love to see Desperes-Bortuzzo pan out into a Martin-Michalek type pair, with some one like Strait paired with Morrow for some stability.

Id love to see Engo stick around as a 7th for nights when things could get messy, who can also step in and play solid as well.
It's funny, the myths that still perpetuate about Goligoski being bad defensively....

Anyway, quite frankly, I will be surprised if Martin finishes his contract as a Penguin, unless the salary cap goes up considerably (may not happen with the new CBA for a while). I'm not advocating trading him this year or maybe even next year, but we've got young players that will be pushing for more ice-time, and we've got most of our key guys to re-sign: Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Neal, Kunitz, Kennedy, and, perhaps most importantly, Letang.

I say Letang most importantly because he is going to get the biggest raise of the bunch. I think Crosby & Malkin will sign for roughly what they're making now; Staal will get a small bump (around $5 mil), as will Neal ($3.75 to $4 mil). Kunitz, if he re-signs, will sign for the same or hopefully slightly less ($3 to $3.5mil). Kennedy could see his salary go up substantially if he continues to develop as expected ($3 to $4 million).

So if the cap doesnt't significantly go up, we're going to be in cap trouble with Martin on the books for $5million, especially if he can be adequately replaced by Despres in the top 4 for $840K. I like Martin a lot, but I'm just not sure we'll be able to afford to keep everyone.

jmelm is online now   Reply With Quote