View Single Post
Old
09-14-2011, 12:59 PM
dashtary*

vCash: 500
2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

So as we all know, there's a lot of depth in Washington and there's not very many spots to fill. A couple of young prospects are knocking on the door, and a couple veterans could lose their spots. Here are my impressions:
Don't get me wrong here, I'm sensible but probably one of the biggest Dmitri Orlov fans you can find. This kid is a meaner-clone of John Carlson with as good offensive/defensive abilities. He's going to be stud. I've been watching him for years and he's significantly improved every single one. It's rare you see a European (let alone Russian) with that talent, skill-set, smarts, physicality, toughness, & mean-streak. I've heard that he's really impressed the organization so much that they're going to give him a chance to take a roster-spot on the big club (Mcphee/GMGM said this as well). If he impresses in camp I can really see Orlov taking the roster spot of someone like a Schultz, who we can then trade and save 2 Million or so. Probably not logical however since the organization for some reason is in awe with Schultzie.

Now on-to Cody Eakin. He may have not had the best Development Camp, since he came in not in the best shape, I've heard about how great he's been at Rookie Camp. I believe that with the vacancy at 3C and the opportunity to put in a talented, grinding, two-way speedster in there opposed to a plug his chances are much better. However, he's going to be competing with Mattias Sjogren. Depending on the roster spots/space one of them could always be moved to wing if the organization wants both of them in Washington

I like Sjogren a lot, he's a big boy. When he puts all of his game together he's a two-way player who's got talent and will play physical. To be honest, Eakin, in my eyes is a more talented and high-level player, whereas Sjogren is more of a power forward some skill. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Lastly, I expect a totally different look on Offense with all of the new additions and changes, as well as a sense of insurance on probably our best Defense of this generation by far, and two great goalies. It may be crazy to say this but don't be surprised to see Alex Semin have a 50+ G 100 P+ Season. He definitely has the talent, and has been inching that pace for years but then hits an injury. This year hopefully he steps up, plays consistent, and doesn't get injured! Last but not least, I believe that we have a really new-look team. Much more energy, physicality, & toughness from the boys This is our year, Lord Stanley. Go Caps! Thoughts & Expectations?