09-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Habit11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whysomad View Post
The Habs D is fine in theory...

Markov-Gorges
Spacek-Subban

Solid top 4 with a potential all star on the ice for up to 50 minutes a game.

Bottom pairing is between Gill, Emelin, Weber to fight for the 5-7 spots, and maybe Woywitka or Diaz making a case for one of those roster spots too (or NHL capable injury reserve in the AHL at least).

There are risks of course... Markov's health #1. I think Spacek will have a bounce back year on the left side, but who can say for sure, he could go through rough stretches. I don't like the Gill resigning, guy is barely a NHL player, overrated cuz he is popular & Subban covered up a lot of his screw ups, but I guess the Habs didn't have much of a choice with the far superior Hamrlik insisting on a 2 year contract (which he got). Gill on the 3rd pairing will be much more exposed with a non all-star partner. The rookies Emelin and Weber may surprise, but are more likely to struggle with ups & downs.
Have to agree with this. If Markov is healthy, then having him on one pair and PK on another means excellent 1st passes to the forwards for a majority of the game, and increased puck possession as a trickle effect. Plus the power play will be pretty lethal and that should create room 5 on 5 for the forwards because the opposition may be hesitant to take penalties. Gill and Weber/Yemelin on the 3rd pairing with Gill carrying the load on the penalty kill with a slight decrease in his 5 on 5 ice time should keep him fresh towards the end of the season and heading into the playoffs where he's at his best.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote