Thread: News Article: Bortuzzo close to NHL level
View Single Post
Old
09-14-2011, 01:56 PM
bigd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Jeffrey certainly can fit a role in the top-9. I think he'll be the 3rd line C and enable Staal to move up with Geno; or perhaps play wing with Geno himself. The top-9 with Kunitz would look like:

Kunitz--Crosby--Neal
Staal--Malkin--Kennedy
Tangradi--Jeffrey--Dupuis/Cooke/UFA

If Kunitz isn't re-signed, we may have to look at a trade to bring another winger, because I'm not so sure we're going to win a UFA bidding war, and our top winger prospects will be at least another year away.

Yes, and this answer may surprise some people: Simon Despres.

Despres, once he gets accustomed to the NHL game and gets more confidence, will use his big body more and more. He is already a player that likes to engage physically, and apprenticing under Letang & Orpik will be great for his development. Despres is the big, left-handed defenseman that can play in the top-4 against top opponents and be physically dominant & strong in the way that Orpik can.

While I do think Despres will bring bit more of an offensive touch, I see him as a defense-first and physical-first defenseman and play a shut-down role (like Orpik), but will bring a bit more offense. In the past I've compared him to being a Bieksa-type player, or a poor man's Brent Burns. Basically, an all-around player who brings the physical dimension Orpik does, but also an offensive dimension that Orpik does not.
He's no way near the nasty that Orpik brings. I think Bortuzzo is more of the Orpik mold.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote