View Single Post
Old
09-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Do you think Martin is going to become some sort of on-ice problem? Because that's why Whitney was traded. To make the team better. Trading a D-man for wingers does not make your team better unless the wingers are good and the D-man isn't. Shero never would have made that trade if Whitney's play was as solid and consistent as Martin's is.
At the end of the day it's a numbers game. We currently have 8 NHL d-men (people forget about Alexandre Picard). That number will likely be 11 by the end of 2011-12, if Despres, Bortuzzo and Strait progress as anticipated. Even if they all don't, that's still 9 or 10 for sure. Then you have to anticipate Joseph Morrow down the line being another NHL-caliber defenseman.

I don't care which veteran we move, depending on what we net in return. But it makes little sense to keep the blueline through the life of the veterans' contracts when we have guys ready to replace them. Sure, it's a downgrade but it's also a salary-cap consideration.

In our current top four, the only untouchable should be Letang. Two of the other three should be kept, long term, but the third guy is vulnerable. Despres is close to being top-four material. Bortuzzo is close to being third-pairing material. Ditto Strait. Morrow will soon be the new Despres, so the cycle will continue.

The way I see it, Niskanen and Martin are the most vulnerable to be moved in the coming calendar year or so. That would leave us with something like this to open 2012-13...

Orpik-Letang
Despres-Michalek
Engelland-Lovejoy
Bortuzzo

If we don't need the cap space, I'd keep Martin...

Orpik-Letang
Martin-Michalek
Despres-Engelland/Lovejoy/Bortuzzo

Someone still has to go, though, and it'd be a cheap NHLer. Therefore, trading a more expensive guy makes sense. The timing of when to make such a move is always key.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote