View Single Post
Old
09-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
But what I like in a leader is someone who does more than Koivu. I want a teacher and that is what Gomez has done. He's been pivotal in teaching our young kids to be professionals. While Koivu made the players better when they played with him, Koivu didn't give them the tools to succeed without him. He didn't instill in them that they need to work hard to succeed in the NHL.

We were lacking that the entire time Koivu was here. It simply wasn't in his personality, its not who he was. The same thing with Gionta, he would really suck as a captain if he didn't have Gill and Gomez supporting him.

I think the C should be more than just skill or working hard. I think you need leadership to push the entire team and make them work harder. Its why I respect Chris Pronger, every year he seems to make his team better come playoff time. Look what happened last year when he was injured, they flopped. But he's had a tonne of success in the playoffs and it isn't luck.
This just feels like fiction to me. Like you're wanting to argue.

Gomez was out of shape last year. I like Gomez, but he was not in good shape. Now somehow that translates to being a good leader; someone who's able to teach others what it means to be a professional athlete. This is crazy talk: being out of shape is the epitome of non-professional.

Koivu, and players of his ilk, inspire others to be consistent hard-workers and professional through his effort-level and through demonstrating those very traits in his own approach to the game.

What's peculiar to me is that you seem to acknowledge that a group of core leaders is essential (noting the Gionta, Gomez, Gill trio), and yet you don't seem to link that to the fact that every team requires a leadership core. There is no singular leader that can step up and motivate. Rather, there always exists a core group of leaders who must be on the same page, must be respected by others, and then they can successfully lead. I don't believe Koivu ever had a group of leaders around him that could constitute a strong leadership core.

Further, the blame you decide to place on Koivu for the unprofessional attitudes of some young players is bizarre. He isn't their mother. He can't babysit them. He hasn't raised them. Some athletes are bad apples. No leader can put all of their players in line. It's why specific players get tossed out of organisations--even great organisations. Sean Avery was dumped because Detroit didn't want to deal with his attitude. And Detroit tried with him: they roomed him with Shanahan, and they had a plethora of great leaders on that club.

For you to claim that Koivu's linemates never could attain the same success later in their careers and, consequently, claim that this is evidence that Koivu didn't teach them how to be professionals: nonsense. It's more a testament to Koivu playing with substandard players and making them look better than they were.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote