Thread: WCHA Thread
View Single Post
Old
09-15-2011, 02:33 PM
RabidBadger

vCash: 500
Minny

Well, last year I was accused of yellow journalism because my review (which was quite fair, balanced and mighty awesome) of the gophs didn'tsit well with someone. We'll see how it goes this year.

Last year wasn't overly awful for the team, it was just awful by their standards. Okay, the inexplicable meltdown to Alaska (lovingly known in Madison as "the first round warm up in the WCHA tourney) This team has not been the same the past few years (notably when Guenztel left as the D coach)which puts a collective shudder through the Dinkytown faithful. There has been a fair share of drama to go along with the poor showings as well. There is no question the talent has been there all along, but there hasn't been the chemistry.

This year's team is pretty good, no doubt. There were some losses of key players but they have a lot coming back. Erik Haula and Nick Bjustad has flashes of brilliance making it known why they were such highly regarded recruits, they should only improve this year. The team has seven senoirs, including two in net. Goalie Kent Patterson doesn't seem to have wilted under the media scrutiny like a string of his predecessors did. He can steal some games, no doubt.

On paper, this could be a team that can make a deep run in the playoffs. The problem is the past 3 year's squads have fallen into that same category. A FF appearance is not out of the question IF they can gel. I can't see glory being restored to The Mooch as long as John Hill continues to run the once vaunted blueline into the ground. I'm scratching my head as to why tDon keeps him on staff. Maybe he has a latent desire to be axed. A repeat of last year shold guarantee that.

RabidBadger is offline   Reply With Quote