View Single Post
Old
09-15-2011, 09:28 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
I actually under bought on some things. I play no check(there's plenty of contact) organized pickup and soon to be shinny.

I went lightweight/ non restrictive on everything and had to upgrade some things.

$25 Easton elbow pads= black and blue right elbow 2X. Upgraded to Bauer Vapor X40's and no issues since then.

Bauer One80 pants= severely bruised right hip bone. Jut healing up now after 2-3 months. Have since bought a padded jock and sewn in extra padding.

Graf 700 gloves= Love them, but took a 2 hander to the thumb first time out and black and blue thumb nail.

Sherwood 5030 shoulders= No issue, but didn't want to get hit in the sternum with a shot or a cross check to the spine with virtually no protection. Upgraded to Bauer One40's which are 3x the protection at virtually the same weight.

I think it depends on the mentality of your league/guys you play with. I'm in the Philly area, very blue collar, very Flyers of the 70's mentality on the ice. It's "no check", but so what. In only 5-6 games played I've gotten my skates kicked out from under me from behind, 2 handers to the hands/forearms constantly, tackled in front of the net, punched in the head, and even a stick to the head. The type of league I play in combined with me not having a ton of "natural" padding, I'm 6'2" ~175lbs, and I can't get away with the paper thin equipment/no shoulder pad thing.

Your saying shinny so I'm assuming alot of the BS I deal with doesn't go on so you might be ok. Still, you catch an edge and your hitting the ice/boards same as I am. I would skimp on shoulders perhaps, but that's about it.
Your pants probably don't fit you then; since there's a gap between your hip and the padding. It should be flush with no space. Consider moving to a smaller size.

The One40s are not much of an upgrade over the 5030s, be careful now, but are minimalistic which is what you seem to like.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote