View Single Post
Old
09-15-2011, 10:32 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
PowerPlay Pointmen

So what to do with Staal? IMO id keep him off the PP if all breaks the way i think it will:

If one of Erixon and Del Zotto make the squad (both could with Sauer's knee issues) then we are looking at a lot of QB options at the point for the power play.

1. Richards - obviously you want him there because its one of his specialties. Hes got a rocket of a one-timer and thats something the Rangers need badly.

2. Erixon - He qb'd the point in the SEL and we all saw his patience, poise and decisiveness in the Traverse City Tourney. If he makes the team, i definitely see him getting a shot here. Hes got the ability to take one-timers AND hit the net with the shot from a sliding point position. Thats what you want. If not the first unit, definitely give him a shot on the second.

3. Del Zotto - The Rangers would be foolish to give up on him, as he has had flashes in the past of providing some good play on the point of the PP. Maybe not top unit material to start but you gotta give him some looks at least if he makes the team.

4. Staal - Hes been given ample time and opportunity to raise his offensive game, and it is coming along slowly. But for me, maybe its worth more to the team to give him a few more minutes off per game to concentrate on what he does best and thats shutting down the oppositions best. Of course you want your big stud Dman to contribute in all facets of the game, but the Rangers have 4 guys who are lefties that can man the PP point, and more importantly on their off-side to get one timers off. Staal is, ah, ok at best with that.

So would it be smart to pair one or two of these guys with a right handed shot on their off-side as well? I am always a proponent of loading up on one-timer ability as much as you can on the PP. Girardi isnt the greatest, but he can get some shots through. Two lefties at the point, Erixon and Richards for instance, wouldnt be the end of the world because they both know how to rotate, with a guy like Callahan who can come further up to support and be facing the passer ready for a shot which is key. Even Stepan might be able to step up this year and take it to another level in that role on the half boards or even the left point to feed Richards or Erixon with one-timers (and even be able to rip them off himself if need be)

Definitely something to think about.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 09-15-2011 at 11:29 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote