View Single Post
Old
09-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
I just bought my first car, a Chevy Cobalt sport. I bought the car on Tuesday and I want to if this is normal. The radio can still be played when the engine is off. Is this normal?
Is the radio the original one that came with the car? Or an after market radio?

If it's an aftermarket radio. There's a chance that it was wired incorrectly.

On some late model GM vehicles. They're designed so the radio stays on until you open the door, or a timer shuts it off.

If it shuts off 10 minutes after you get out of the car. I would check to see if your door pin is stuck. The door pin is located between the front of the door and the frame of the car. If the pin is stuck, pull it out. If the radio shuts off, there's your problem. Spray some WD-40 on it and you're good to go.

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest checking your ignition switch. Sometimes the connectors inside are loose. So your car thinks that the key is still in the ignition. Pull your key out, then put it back in again and wiggle it around gently. Ha, that's what my prom date said on prom night. If that seems to fix the problem, you may need to have a new ignition switch installed.