View Single Post
Old
09-16-2011, 11:06 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
It's good to know that he is starting to adjust to the NA game. It's tough playing in another country without family and trying to learn a new language and also adjusting to the AHL is hard on a 19 year-old kid. People shouldn't be so hard on him because I think he will end surprising everyone and become something special. That takes a ton of dedication from him to want to improve, not like your supposed "typical Russian". If we develop him correctly, and if he can grow better defensively and if his passing improves, he can become our superstar forward that we have been missing since Lafleur, as he is the prospect with the most elite skill-set of our system (other than Beaulieu perhaps). I hope I don't want to sound like a homer here, but I see a lot of potential in this kid and 1-2 great seasons in the A, he can be with the Habs soon, and can do a lot for us in the future. I really like what I see from him. Some compare him to Ovechkin, I think that if we develop him right, it might not be so farfetched. Another good comparable for Avtsin IMO is probably Kovalchuk or Nash (if not good, give me a better comparable) because they are really great scorers in the NHL.
This. When I see players like PK and Eller among others, I see the type of dedication they have and how seriously they take getting better, making it in the NHL, being a good player. I know with the motivation and dedication those types of players have that with the talent they have they will go far and thus far Avtsin is no exception to the rule. Time will obviously tell if he cracks or not. Thus far he has a great attitude and it just goes to show why we had problems in the past with player development. We were going after talent but character and determination were often overlooked assets. Now that we're drafting players that have a tremendous amount of dedication it's no surprise we're seeing the upside. Subban is just the tip of the ice berg imo. With Price, Pacioretty, and now maybe even Avtsin who knows where this team will be down the line.

I like the direction the team is heading in with our choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
The type of talent you're describing here doesn't need AHL seasoning, no matter the language barrier. If you have that kind of talent in you, you're a good player right away in the league.

Since you ask for a comparable - which is always a tricky game to - to me, it would be Kostytsyn.
Not true unless we're talking generational talents like Crosby, Ovechkin, etc. If we're talking stars then you're wrong as a lot of them need 1-3 years in the AHL and even start off slow in the NHL, is Lars Eller going to be a career 40pt guy? Who knows I guess, but I'm doubting it's all but guaranteed that he can't be a star. Plenty of players who take time to develop in the AHL become stars or even superstars. Generational talents and very high end superstars i.e. drafted first overall are pretty much the only kinds that don't require AHL seasoning(Or KHL/SEL/etc). Nobody said Avtsin wasn't a project, if he weren't he would have been drafted in the first round. He's still quite young though and playing in a mans league. I can't really judge a kid who isn't physically mature playing in a mans league. To me where you start judging Avtsin is by his play at the end of this season and all of next. This year was a huge adjustment and like I said he was a kid playing in a mans sport. Considering his ice time, where he was in the line up, etc... his points weren't terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I think a lot of people overlook him. He is one of our better prospects, and I am happy to see him committed to playing in NA.
This. 19 year old's with barely a taste of KHL don't just show up to the AHL after having mostly played junior in Russia and start scoring goals all over the place on the 4th line. He's overlooked because of that, people expected a 40+ point season out of him and that just wasn't realistic. This year it's possible and if he pulls it off I expect him to build on that by next year and by then he should at least be a top player in Hamilton. He's a project, he's young and he needs time. Ovechkin is the exception not the rule and need I remind people it doesn't take much to go from being PK Subban in Belleville to PK Subban in Hamilton and subsequently Montreal. When a player is talented, dedicated and motivated anything can happen with their development. We just need to give him some time to adapt and I'm sure he'll be fine. Not saying I guarantee anything but this season isn't close to enough to say he's a bust.

Last edited by neofury*: 09-16-2011 at 11:16 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote