Thread: Is it to late?
View Single Post
Old
10-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Hank19*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Gloves
I'm 15 right now and I'm wondering if its too late for me to learn how to ice skate, learn how to play hockey on ice (I.e. the techniques), and play on an actual team? I've never played on a team or ice. Is it to late for me to begin? How would I improve my skills? I guess people will host skills night or something at local rinks. Its always been my dream to play hockey.....
I didn't start skating and playing hockey until I was 13 years old. That first year of house league Pee Wee hockey I sucked! Boy did I suck! I could barely move out there. But I kept at it. In my 2nd year I was still so bad that I was forced to stay in Pee Wee instead of move up to Bantam.
But that was the best thing I could have done. I played Defense that year and my coaches really worked with me on my backward skating. I really improved.
The next year, I rejoined the rest of the 15 year olds in Bantam and I ended up 2nd in playoff scoring.
I'm 31 now and I still play. My skating is light years from where it was and I've played in leagues where I was just as good some guys that have played hockey their whole lives.
If you love the game, just do it. What really helped me was joining a regular weekly 'makeup game' where a buch of guys just show up, throw their sticks in the middle to decide teams and go at it. There's no pressure and you can work on all the things you need to.

Good luck!

Hank19* is offline   Reply With Quote