View Single Post
Old
09-17-2011, 04:03 PM
newfr4u

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Yea, but you didnt answer the guy's question. Its like you passed a weekend personal trainer course and wanted to tell him about that. You absolutely DID suggest that he would be ahead of most kids if he was on the ice 2x per week but the OP clearly mentioned that he was in an elite level program. 2x per week is freakin' house league.

Re: squats and deadlifts...I probably worded my response wrong. I meant to say agility and core excercices. Squats and deadlifts at 12 arent as crucial.

At the end of the day any kid who has committed to an elite level program is going to need to commit at least 3 practices per week plus games. That is why it is important to choose the program based on their practices. Also, the kid has to have the right mindset and accept being pushed.
i obviously cannot tell this guy at what point his kid is going to burn out. he might burn out at 4 ice practices a week, or he might still be hooked on hockey doing 2-a-days without rest. in my personal opinion, let the kid decide how much ice time is too much.

BUT, i AM telling you that to be at elite levels in the sport (any sport), the kid will need more strength than your typical kid (not typical elite kid). the strength aspect will contribute to him being better at everything, skating, shooting, checking, explosiveness, endurance. once you get to high school age, you'll see that elite kids have much higher than average strength, and if they have enough talent, dedication, and results, they will get looks from higher level programs. sure, there will be rare exceptions to the rule, where a genetic freak will dominate without pushing a lot of weight in the gym, but it's more rare than you think.

12-14 is the perfect growth spurt age for a lot of kids who show early promise. use it to their advantage. get their muscle mass/squat/deadlift numbers up to respectable/advanced/elite levels, and it will become apparent that it was a wise investment of time. it will not make them woefully behind, but on the contrary it will make them stronger, more athletic players, less prone to injury.

considering that weightlifting is only 3-4 days a week for 1-1.5 hours, can be done in the comfort of your own home/garage/basement, and provided enough calories at that age will not affect the recovery time until they approach some pretty advanced limits, it's really a no brainer.

Last edited by newfr4u: 09-17-2011 at 04:23 PM.
newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote