View Single Post
Old
09-17-2011, 11:02 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
It doesn't make sense in the context that it puts all of our high end scoring depth on the same line, and makes us easier to match up against, especially on road games... The Dubi-AA-Callahan line had undeniable chemistry together and carried the team for a good chunk of last season... If you have 2 dynamic players like Gaborik & Richards on the first line, you don't break up a solid 2nd scoring line that has good chemistry together, you should explore all other options first, like Wolski, Avery, Feds.... Additionally, Gaborik & Richards will draw the other team's top pairing D match-ups, which gives that young 2nd line more favorable match-ups than they were used to seeing last season, so that's another plus... That gives us 2 solid scoring lines and we know what kind of contributions we can get from our bottom 6 forwards on the other lines, that should put us in much better shape than we've been in, in the past. We've never consistently had 2 reliable scoring lines at any time since the lockout... I believe Torts is going to make an effort not to break up that line and try other options first...
I don't value the chemistry that Dubsinsky-Anisimov-Callahan had, over the high priced pair we got for the top line. The number one priority is to have that pair as effective as possible. Wolski can't be relied on to dig for the puck, go hard to the net, control the puck on the boards, or create space for his linemates with his physical play and puck possession. Richards and Gaborik are as finesse as it is. Adding more un-physical finesse makes no sense.

Dubinsky is the player they need, he's the one who could get done what needs to get done so Richards and Gaborik can play their game.

And like Richards and Gaborik, Wolski needs someone to create space for him, needs someone to get him the puck, needs someone to dig for the puck, control it on the boards. Callahan and Anisimov are those guys.

Its my opinion that you can't create one-dimensional lineups. That's more predictive, that's easier to plan against.

Its simple, throw your top physical and defensive players out against Wolski-Richards-Gaborik and that line is in check, and deploy your top offensive players against Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan and suddenly their main focus is on the defensive side. Two lines in check.

Dubinsky can match up with and neutralize the opposing physical players and create space for Richards and Gaborik with his strong board play and ability to hold onto the puck under duress.

Anisimov and Callahan would be able to neutralize opposing offensive players and have a skilled scorer they can use when they force the other team to make a mistake.

I don't see Wolski, a one dimensional offensive player, and not really physical, as the best option for two already mostly offensive and not overly physical players. You need balance.

That said, its obvious several guys will be tried out there. Wolski will get his shot. Ultimately, I feel the best option is Dubinsky.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote