Thread: WCHA Thread
View Single Post
Old
09-18-2011, 11:12 AM
RabidBadger

vCash: 500
The Green Giouxns of Grand Forks (or whatever their name may become)

Man, all the pieces were in place for The Sioux last year; a stacked roster, great recruiting class, solid in all three zones and no sign of that darn BC in the Frozen Four, until Michigan came along leaving Sioux fans heart broken after being so close yet again. If there is an achilles heel to the program it's adjusting to teams built on speed. Michigan is built very similar to BC, it's no coincidence why those two programs make the NCAAs every year and go deep in the bracket. Maine, the only team to sweep NoDak last year emphasizes this point.

There were some major losses in the offseason, notably super stud Matt Frattin, the best player in college last year, and the heart and soul of the team, Chay Genoway. Best of luck to both.

The Sioux reload. Aaron Dell and Brad Eidsness make up what is likely the best goalie tandem in the country. Dell was a surprise break out and if he turns out to be a flash in the pan Eidsness is more than capable of carrying the team.

Forbert, MacWilliam and Ben Blood are a pretty deep top three on the blueline to mentor the younger guys. This years recruits aren't as heralded as last year's but I'm pretty sure they will aquit themselves well.

Scoring won't be much of a task with guys like Kristo, Knight and and Brock Nelson returning to the fold. No Sioux review would be complete without mentioning Rocco Grimaldi...nuff said.

Goaltending...check, solid blueline...check, scoring depth...check, another good recruiting class...check, pressure to win it all...this could be the difference. I had this converstaion with D-Sioux upstairs. The pieces are in place but the expectations aren't there like they were last year. Maybe not having that monkey on their back will be the difference. They still have to deal with that neutralizing speedy teams though. A trip to the finals would not surprise me a bit.

RabidBadger is offline   Reply With Quote