View Single Post
Old
10-12-2005, 10:20 AM
technophile

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to technophile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeylover
Thanks Techno. If I am in front of the net, I assume I should always try to get out of the defenseman's attention. It's when uncovered that I should be the most dangerous.
Yes, although IME it's more important to be close enough to the goal than to be far enough from the D. Plus, if the defenseman is paying lots of attention to you, he's less likely to be able to block an incoming shot or interfere with another offensive player, so really it's win-win. Except for the bruises, anyway.

Quote:
I tend to stay in front with the defenseman on my back and try to push him away. Of course, it depends on the situation.
I'm not really sure what's best here; I haven't played enough yet, I guess. Watching an NHL game or three and paying special attention to the winger near the crease is probably a good idea.

It might depend on whether you're expecting/wanting a pass or a shot. It's easier to get open to receive a pass if the D is behind you (between you and the goal). But it's easier to screen the goalie and hunt for rebounds if the D is in front of you (you're between the D and the goalie). Between the goalie and the D is a much more uncomfortable place to be, of course.

As far as defense duties, you probably should be up high, though not so high that you can't collapse down if necessary. Stay between the point man and the puck, cutting off as much of the passing lane as possible. The center should be the one down low supporting the defensemen; again, watch an NHL game and keep an eye on the wingers. You shouldn't be down in the corners of your own defensive zone, or even really mixing it up in the slot -- your job is to both prevent cycling the puck up high and be ready to make a transition move in case of a turnover.

You don't necessarily have to be within stick-length of the point man; even if you're a few feet lower down than that he won't be able to shoot before you can move up and block the shot, assuming you didn't manage to cut the passing lane. Plus if you're a little lower down you can pressure the passing lanes between the center and his winger, which helps to limit his options and force the other team into a turnover. Just make sure you're close enough to stay between the point and the puck, and close enough to get in to block a shot if the point does get a pass.

Last edited by technophile: 10-12-2005 at 10:27 AM.