View Single Post
Old
09-19-2011, 04:40 PM
neofury*

vCash: 500
I understand out of a guy you pay 7.5 cap hit you expect 10-15 but my expectation of Gomez was always 20-30th among centers, which wouldn't even necessarily be a top 30 point getter in the league.

But I do understand where people are coming from. That said we needed a 2nd liner center and we got one even if he is overpaid. Teams like Florida have like 7-8 guys overpaid in total that we do with the likes of Gomez and the other slightly overpaid players. With a cap if your team is competitive (we are) and you're overpaying, chances are on the whole you aren't overpaying anymore than other teams.

It's just so glaring for us because of Gomez being the one who takes up the biggest chunk of that overpayment.

A lot of other teams are just overpaying 500k her, 1 mil there, 250k there and it adds up. We have some quite fair deals you never hear anyone talk about. Plek at 5. Also Cammy at 6 is a steal I don't care what people try to tell you. It isn't his fault he's been injured both seasons and has always shown why he's worth 6 million in the post season. In my eyes Cammalleri and Kostitsyn are victims of poor circumstance. They both take quite a bit of time to come back to 100% after an injury and both of them have had injuries most years since being with the club.

Give either of them a healthy year and I think they'll impress a lot of people. For one if Andrei stays healthy pretty sure 3.5 will be a steal. He's only ever produced badly when returning from injuries and that time he was put with Gomez for the most part.

Cammy we all know what he's capable of. Lets not forget neither of these guys throw off the locker room thing we have going on either. All our current roster seem to click together, that has to count for something.

So while we do have an extremely overpaid player in Gomez, if he can return to 55-60pt form or even god forbid somehow exceed even those expectations... he won't be so overpaid and right then and there he'll make the deal worth it for me, cause with a Gomez on his game we can go far. Book it.

If you aren't San Jose, Vancouver, LA, places players would love to live. NYC, etc. You need to overpay, heck even those teams do overpay now and then when it comes to getting the exact player they're looking for. We get to spend to cap, we're a very lucky team in that regard. Gomez contract to us is less of a problem than it would be for a lot of other teams where he'd take up a high % of their internal cap. People make a huge deal sometimes out of small things.

Look at the bigger picture we needed a center, he was available, we got him and nobody else wanted to play here. Suddenly players did want to play here. Gomez is known to be a great guy to play with. Players seem to enjoy his company. Maybe he isn't the reason Cammy and Gio signed. Maybe he is. All I know is Kovalev was about to get a couple more year contract and Gio swooped in and took that money. I don't think that's just a coincidence. And I <3 Gio.

Point is if any team can handle Gomez and his cap hit performing at regular pace it's us. 60pt Gomez makes us a better team regardless of his cap hit and I think he's going to show us what he's made of this year. I'm calling it right now, Gomez will be the wild card this year.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote