Old
10-13-2005, 01:11 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
Straight out of the NHL rulebook.

A goal shall be scored when the puck shall have been put between the goal posts by the stick of a player of the attacking side, from in front and below the crossbar, and entirely across a red line the width of the diameter of the goal posts drawn on the ice from one goal post to the other with the goal frame in its proper position. (See also Rule 51(c) -- Delaying the Game.)
The goal frame is considered to be displaced if either or both goal peg(s) are no longer in their respective holes in the ice, or the net has come completely off the peg(s), prior to or as the puck enters the goal.

Sorry didn't see anything about discretion.
Read my above post, that's the rule needed here. The goal judge has a certain amount of discretion based on the fact that he's the only one seeing the replay and subsequently the one who forwards the necessary information or decision down to the ice.

What I did NOT catch initially, until now, is that all three of the criteria I listed must be met for the goal to be good. Meaning that the only thing left to the official's discretion in this case was the question of whether or not Eaton dislodged the net intentionally. It was obvious that this was not the case, and the goal was subsequently waved off.

Now that I think about it (contrary to what NMK and I concluded on earlier), the goal judge can't make any contribution to the on-ice officials about contact with the goaltender. Contact must be identified by the on-ice officials.