View Single Post
Old
10-25-2003, 07:12 AM
NWT Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by watercoolant
Just something to ponder about: (Correct me if I'm wrong )

We are always emphasizing on the defensive system, and it is at the transition phase that we capitalize on to create offense. So if we focus even more on the defensive aspect in the 3rd period (to tide up the play), it will replace the transition by simply dumping the puck to the other end and thus apparently it seems that we're being dominated because we cut down on our offensive game... now I'm confused
Exactly correct. When the Habs have a lead now they switch to a much deeper and more passive trap (yes, not all traps are created equal). The 1-2-2 has the one winger in forechecking (ie, only swirling around the offensive zone) and the remaining two forwards are sitting back in their half of the ice. That typically is to stop any effective transition of the opposition as opposed to generating good offensive transition from turnovers in the neutral zone.

Also, in their own end, they play the zone D which still allows the opponents to have considerable puck possession, but not from typically good scoring locations (ie, they don't actively pursue the puck, but cut off the major passing lanes and keep the puck off to the angles).

If your goalie is playing solid positional hockey, he will keep you in those games...and our two guys have been playing that way so far. It also helps that the goalies will see a lot more of the pucks as compared to last year. Instead of totally collapsing in front of the net and thus likely really screening the goalie, the play is forced to the outsides, with a lot less lateral movement in front, which allows much better goalie puck vision and time to react.

It's not perfect or thrilling, but it is effective as long as you continue to play as a team. What worries me is the team's ability to generate offence late in the game if the opponent is able to tie up the game or take the lead...they have had the lead so much this season, so it may be quite an adjustment when it finally starts to happen a lot more.