View Single Post
Old
09-21-2011, 08:55 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
It was pretty clear from Holmgren's interviews that day that even he was caught off guard by the magnitude of these trades. I don't think it had anything to do with their off-ice issues. Sure, they had a lot of young guys on the team a few years ago and cleared house, but all of those players (Lupul, Umberger, Upshall, Carter, and Richards) all were due raises, and all received very nice ones. That's going to cap-strap a team. Especially considering three of the deals contained NTC, as well.

There was an interview a week or so following the trade that had quotes from Snider. He mentioned how hard the trade was for Holmgren considering his nature as a scout. He's been following these kids since their teens, brought them into the organization in the same year, saw them win the Calder Cup, and saw them both become All-Stars and great players in this league. It's not easy to send these guys packing. It's also a hell of a lot harder to do it after you handed them both long-term deals, and almost guaranteed they'd spend most of their careers in Philly.

Snider, though, let his opinion out a bit later on in the article. He specifically mentioned that when they continued to go down to the Bruins last post-season, no one stepped up. Snider's an entertainment guy first and foremost, at least in my opinion. He wants to make the playoffs and win the Cup because it's going to justify the prices for the butts in the seats.

I trust Holmgren's assessment of talent. In case people haven't noticed, he drafts well. We could have Kyle Turris right now, otherwise. He's also very loyal to the organization, and understands his role within it. We all know that the trade offers came flooding in after the trade for Bryzgalov's rights. That has been mentioned in a number of articles. It's the General Manager's job to put together the best team he can on the ice. Regardless of the attachment between himself and Richards and Carter (If people are offended by me using their names, I can edit them out later ), he got a deal that he thought was good value, that helped the Flyers cap situation, and gave the team more depth. After conversing with Lukko and Snider, the trigger was pulled. Who pulled it doesn't matter at this point, as well should all know by now who has the final say in these moves.
Pronger?

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote