View Single Post
Old
10-25-2003, 08:05 AM
joeminus

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
That's one thing that's really aggravating me: we've been there and done that with the Fedotenko+Vinny experiment and it is obvious to everyone (except the coach apparently) that it DOESN'T WORK. Hate to say it, but right now we're just wasting Vinny by having him play with guys he doesn't mesh well with. We are getting nothing going 5 on 5 in the last few games.
Exactly. Meanwhile, Stillman got, what, three weeks to try to mesh with Vinny? It took a handful of training camp scrimmages for Torts to decide Stillman and Lecavalier "do not click," but after 80+ games the verdict is still out on Fedotenko/Lecavalier?! It makes no sense!

The lack of even-strength production from our top 2 lines is disturbing to say the least.

Even-strength scoring through 5 games:
Stillman/Richards/St. Louis: 1G, 3A
Afanasenkov/Lecavalier/Fedotenko: 2G, 2A

That's less than a point-per-game for each line! By contrast, last season Modin/Richards/St. Louis averaged 1.45 ppg and Prospal/Lecavalier/Fedotenko averaged 1.56 ppg at even strength. In other words, that production has basically been cut in half.

Granted, we're only 5 games into the season, but it's an alarming trend. And when Tortorella goes on the record saying he's not going to waste time waiting around to see if two players can mesh (in reference to Stillman/Lecavalier), I don't know why he's still holding out hope for Feds/Vinny after 12 months.

Oh, well. We're undefeated. I should quit complaining.