View Single Post
Old
09-22-2011, 07:08 AM
livewell68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
05-06 was a freak year for a lot of players.
Sure it was a freak year for some and there were a few more players with 100 Pts than usual but regardless only 2 players scored more than 110 Pts and those 2 players were Jagr and Thornton. Jagr had 17 Pts more than the 3rd leading scorer.

A freak year for someone is when they are usually 70 Pts players and suddenly they score 100 Pts.

Jagr had already put together 4 seasons of 100 Pts or more and had played another 3 seasons (1994-95, 1996-97 and 1999-00) at a 120 Pts pace. So for Jagr it wasn't a freak season as much as him finding his passion and motivation back after playing in Russia.

As for people saying Jagr has more reasonable expectations than I do:

Quote:
Q: Was there ever any doubt in your mind that you can compete in the NHL at the same high level you had before?

A: I have to wait and see. I didn't play in this league for three years. It's going to take some time because ice is different. It's totally different hockey compared to European hockey. In Europe you skate a lot more, but the physical battle is not there. The battle on the boards is different. Hopefully I can adjust quickly.
This to me doesn't say that. Jagr isn't saying he can't play at the level he used to play at, he simply says people will have to wait and see. Jagr himself is not putting a number on what to expect from him, he's not saying "I'm going to top off at 75 Pts".

Last edited by livewell68: 09-22-2011 at 07:20 AM.