: Post-Game Talk:
Sabres win 3-1 (EN)
View Single Post
09-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Join Date: May 2007
Originally Posted by
A few things I'd like to know about Beaulieu because I missed the game last night.
1. His skating laterally, backwards and forwards. I hear is back skating needs some work.
2. His passing skills/ puck movement
3. His vision of the game
4. If his errors were a lack of hockey sense or a speed of the game issue...this is really important.
1. His skating was smooth. Long stride, elite-level transitions in direction. Not blindingly quick. Didn't get enough of an impression of his backward movement to really evaluate him. He certainly can and should improve as a skater, but for 18, wow.
2. Well above average.
3. Impressive, especially on the PP. But see point 4-
4. In the first period a couple of his turnovers were clearly caused because the opposing player(s) closed on his passing target faster than he realized they would. I didn't notice a lack of hockey sense, quite the opposite. In fact you could see him learning as the game progressed.
All that said, I've heard repeated comparisons to players like Hainsey and Brisbois, and they looked fair in terms of size, skating and style of play. The question with those players was grit/heart/compete level. The WJC this year would be a great place for Beaulieu to show us more. Hope he not only makes the team, but helps anchor it's back end.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Bullsmith