View Single Post
Old
09-22-2011, 02:49 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Pony View Post
I'm pretty sure I can count the number of non-positive posts re: RJU without taking off my shoes.

Everybody loves RJ, that's great, but it seems that everyone loves him because he plays hard and puts up points. However I can't see his style or level of play being sustainable past his early 30's. There's no elite level skill for him to fall back on once injuries and age take their toll, and they will.

I've yet to be convinced that a 5 year deal for a player already halfway through his prime is a good idea. Given the amount of support he has around here, I expected that someone would have been able to articulate what on-ice skills led to this contract. I'm not looking for stats or numbers, because anyone can copy and paste those from nhl.com, but rather an actual analysis of why in 3, 4 or 5 years RJ will be worth 4.5 million, because I just don't see it.

Your point about veteran leadership is a good one, and that is valuable, especially from someone who has been with the organization for a significant period of time. Much more valuable than the "veteran-leadership" type one-year deals and trades we've seen made the last few years. Honestly, I just don't see this team being in a position to make use of said veteran leadership in that time frame. I'd love to be wrong about that though.
Why even be a fan then? If you truly believe that this team is not going to win anytime in the next 5 years why not find something else to do with your time? I know I would.

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote