View Single Post
Old
10-25-2003, 10:22 AM
kraigus

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I already stepped up as one of the guys who thought Cross wasn't deserving of top four minutes, and have already said, that I'm glad to say that he has put me in a position through six games to stuff my foot in my mouth! I love when Oilers I don't think will succed do that!
I like what Cross has brought to the team - he's brutal skating, but his reach and size more than makes up for this. He knows to keep the puck low and on net - I've seen MAB rocket too many off the glass high behind the goaltender already for my taste, and Brewer doesn't seem to always go for the simple shot - and he doesn't take bad penalties. I've always been cautiously optimistic about him, after a blistering tirade to myself right after I heard about the trade. He's a real team player, and let's face it - the Oilers need a few old guys to settle them down and show them how it's done. I'd like to see him hit punishingly more often, but I suspect with his skating that'd be as likely to take him out of the play altogether - so just knocking pucks off of sticks, the simple plays, works for him.

I think if Brewer (and, indeed, the other D, but Big Brew's the biggest offender I think) was playing as well as he can, Cross wouldn't be as required. It's nice to see Smith return to form though!