View Single Post
Old
09-22-2011, 08:50 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Not sure I agree with this sentiment. You're making it sound like (and if this wasn't your intent, I apologize) Dubinsky could just as easily have stayed at center, or should eventually go back to it, which is something I don't agree with. He was moved because it was becoming apparent that his skillset, and his abilities, were simply better suited for that position. He doesn't have the playmaking skills to be a top center, which is something that he still doesn't appear to completely be willing to accept at times (though he continues to improve in that regard). He's better suited as a goalscoring power forward-esque player who can create room for his linemates with the ability to occassionally flash some vision, as well. His issue, IMO, is that he can get carried away with trying to do too much playmaking. But I digress...

(SSM, this part isn't aimed at you so much, just in general for the thread...)Stepan does have the skillset to be a puck distributor (even if he didn't show enough of it last season). Now, although most of the top playmakers in the league are centers, there are exceptions. St. Louis, Kane, Hemsky, to name a few, are their team's top playmakers and do it from the wing. Now, Stepan could very well do the same thing...but why? If he's already a center, why alter that. Strength down the middle, especially in terms of playmaking and creativity and the ability to dominate the puck in the other team's zone...the value of this can't be overstated.
Good points.

I used to, but haven't for a while now felt that Dubi should go back to center. He is better suited as a winger.

Stepan should stay at center. Let Richards mentor him. He can improve on faceoffs.

I just don't see a real reason to move him at this point. And its not like we have a highly touted center prospect ready to push Stepan to wing.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote