View Single Post
Old
09-23-2011, 02:59 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I thought Bartulis has looked better on defense, but Gustafsson has looked better on offense. In this case I picked the better defensive player because that is what I would rather have on the third line. If Kimmo were to get injured or any other top 4 D, which is possible playing in Lavy's system I would call up Gustafsson for those minutes.
Eh, like I said. I disagree. I think the Gus's offense has kinda been subpar lately. Maybe it is just because he hasnt put up points. That being said, Im actually pretty impressed by Gus's defensive play. Watching him at the beginning of last season, Gus's defensive play was horrible. He would pitch every time he had a chance leaving is partner alone. Now, he has settled down and focused on his defensive play which affected his points quite abit on defense. Bartulis, to me, has always been... average. He is quite hesistent moving the puck and can be prone to some terrible turnovers. On defense he definitely is alittle above average, but nothing outstanding. I would put Gus's and Bartulis's defensive play closer to one another. Bartulis has the edge on the physicalness, but Gus has the edge of positioning (which alot of smaller defenders need).

The Flyers have been playing a Timonen-Gustafsson pairing alot this camp, so it will be interesting if they see that as an option for opening night. Last season Gus had 0 chance of making the team with OD as the solid 6. Now Gus is pretty much fighting for a spot with Lilja and Bartulis.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote