View Single Post
Old
09-24-2011, 11:04 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
I haven't been blown away by any of the kids, frankly. Obviously, the kids from the most recent draft haven't got much of a shot. Of the others, here's what I've seen:

Forwards:
I thought Bourque showed more than Hagelin in their limited exposure, but both could use time in the AHL. Thomas clearly has more offensive talent than both, but simply needs to gain more strength - wish he could go to Connecticut.

Zucarello has been meh. He keeps up with the play, but I haven't seen him have a dramatic impact during his time on ice.

Weise has also been meh. He'd be fine on the third or fourth line of a middle of the pack NHL club. But that's hardly a ringing endorsement - I don't see him as a guy who's FORCING himself onto the roster by any means.

Newbury and Mitchell are AAAA players. Good for call-ups, that's it.

I would have liked to have seen JAM play, but he pretty clearly has to go to the Whale and earn his stripes there.

Defensemen:
MDZ has been good enough... given the injury problems in the D corp. Same with Erixon. I hope the fact that they may be forced to play will take some pressure off of both and allow them to play free and easy.

Valentenko - I thought he started out well and then his play started to tail off, especially after he blocked that shot. Still, I'm worried about his footspeed - specifically recovering his positioning after a check against the boards or behind the net.

Bell - has looked like a solid 6/7 guy. But again, that's hardly anything to get excited about.

I'd like to see Parlett get some playing time before we start calling who makes it into the opening day D corps.

Honestly, the guys who've impressed me the most - in terms of impacting play when they've been on the ice - have been McIlrath and Miller. I know it's unlikely, but I wouldn't mind seeing one or both get 9 games with the big club.

Of the guys who could wind up in the AHL and get called up during the year, I think Yogan may have more eventual upside than any of the guys currently in discussion for the last forward spot. EDIT: Guess they felt it would be more valuable for him to go back to juniors and gain experience on the top line after missing most of last year - understandable, much as I like him.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 09-24-2011 at 11:20 AM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote