View Single Post
Old
09-24-2011, 06:03 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I think you could make a convincing argument actually that Turris is MORE crucial to the Coyotes' offense than Benn is to the Stars'.
I would love to hear one. Given Turris' career thus far Phoenix can't possibly be counting on him to put up even 40 points this coming season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
And I disagree that draft position doesn't matter when it comes to RFA contracts. High picks like Turris and JVR are more likely to get more money regardless of how their production compares.
But does it, really? What are some comparable situations from the past where a player of Benn's quality at the NHL level has gotten paid less than a Turris type due to draft position? JVR is a different situation because his numbers, aside from draft position, are comparable to Benn. Turris isn't even in the same conversation. Until he proves worthy of his draft position he's just another 20+ point player with potential.

I'm not into the business of calling 22 year old players busts but Turris is at the doorstep of either owning that title or pushing beyond it. There's no doubt in my mind that he was rushed but the situation is what it is. Hell, one could make the argument that Turris was significantly overrated prior to the 2007 draft because of his quality of competition, which calls into question the legitimacy of comparing RFA's from the same draft class based on draft position.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote