View Single Post
Old
09-26-2011, 12:14 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Ooh, I'm glad I saw this thread. I saw the soundbite a few days ago of Briere saying "don't push your luck" with a pretty big smirk on his face on tsn.ca when they were up there to play the Leafs. That's definitely the impression that I got.

If there was a locker room faction at odds with Richards/Carter, little bits here and there seem to indicate (to me) that was most of all Briere, Boucher, Timonen and possibly Giroux. I also got the impression when those players reacted differently to the Zherdev situation. Carter and Richards seemed at least patient with him, while Briere was especially outspoken (as far as you can read into it from public comments).

I think Briere is hugely in favor of the offseason moves. Namely Bryzgalov and Jagr in, Richards and Carter out.

Maybe my preconceived notions are slipping in, but the "don't push your luck" thing seemed like Briere's genuine feelings blurting out, while the second part is the political spin of Briere trying to minimize what he said. Briere knows you're not supposed to throw even former teammates under the bus, so he says, "I don't want to throw those guys under the bus."
The "don't push your luck" comment seems like an inappropriate use terminology. His first language is French even though his English is quite good, same with Giroux, so it's not uncommon for a term to be used incorrectly. It's a figure of speech. Also, I don't know what the issue is with Zherdev but aren't leaders supposed to try and make outsiders feel welcome?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote