View Single Post
Old
09-26-2011, 10:36 PM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Especially when it's actually the flu, and not a cold.

No, you didn't. I don't know you from a hole in the ground, but I will without a doubt 100% guarantee you that you did not get the flu annually. You may have gotten a COLD annually, but you absolutely did not get the flu every year.

Part of the problem with threads like these, or at least when the get to the topic of colds/flus is that too many people think they are the same thing. They aren't, not at all. Pretty much all the people who think they still get "the flu" after getting a flu shot, are referring to a cold, not the flu. People (primarily the elderly) can and do actually die from the Flu. If someone actually has the flu, it's absolutely understandable that they can't play a game of hockey. A cold? you can fight there that depending, but if it's the flu? unlikely.

Having a flu shot won't do squat to prevent you from getting a cold, and also it needs to be kept in mind that the flu shots that people are given are only done to protect you from that particular season's most likely and plentiful strain of the flu. There's many different strains and they are constantly mutating.

But no, (and I really don't mean this as any sort of shot at you), you did not have the flu annually as a kid. And absolutely, if someone actually has the flu, it's 100% understandable why they may miss some games.
I got the flu annually as a kid dude and I know other people like my own girlfriend even who also was very sick as a kid. My brother was the opposite and I think my pediatrician knew how to diagnose a flu bro.

That being said okay maybe sometimes it was 14 months apart or 16 but it was basically an annual thing. (If you really want to get into being exact about it I can't give you exact dates but no longer than 1.5 years at a time and as early as 1 year at a time is accurate. I know what a cold is and so does my doctor. I'm not even the type of person to go to the doctor unless I'm seriously ill and my parents aren't even the types to let me stay home for a cold or even bring me to the doctors for a cold. I wasn't one of those kids who could get away with faking too my mom would break out the thermometer lol)

I do agree with your points about the shot dude but trust me when you're young and have a bad immune system you can get the flu every 12-16 months easily. Like you mentioned there are different types of flu and with a bad immune system it means you're even more prone to those types. Having one won't necessarily strengthen your immune system against another.

Not denying it could even be an anomaly of some kind cause like I said now it's once every 3 years. I definitely had a **** immune system as a kid though. My girlfriend isn't even allowed to take antibiotics anymore unless it's something extremely serious, that's how many times she got antibiotics as a child.

Last edited by neofury*: 09-26-2011 at 10:42 PM.