View Single Post
Old
09-27-2011, 09:33 AM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Eh, Im gonna refrain from debating (since everyone knows my side), but Bill Meltzer had a good writeup about everyone. He pretty much agrees Gus has been better. Bartulis looks too jittery and turnover ratio is pretty bad.
Yeah, I think Bartulis suffers a bit from what Parent did towards the end of his time with us, whenever he gets the puck he is just looking to get it off his stick. His confidence in himself isn't that high it appears, and in a desperate search to limit his mistakes he ends up making even more. When he came up though, the thing that stood out was that he was so calm and played with such composure (is that the word I want there?), my hope is that if he ends up with the 6th spot Lavy will allow him to make a few mistakes and not bench him or reduce his ice time dramatically as soon as he turns the puck over. Hopefully he'll regain his confidence and give us 14 minutes or so per game of solid enough defending.

I wouldn't mind it terribly if it ends up being Gustafsson who takes the roster spot, but he has two things going against him. He is waiver exempt, Bartulis isn't, and his cap hit is 300k more costly than Bartulis', which matters if we're keeping Schenn up. It wouldn't be the worst thing ever to happen to a hockey club to lose Bartulis to another team, but it might be more reasonable to at least start out the season with him and if it doesn't work out, try to fix it, rather than going with Gustafsson and if it turns out he isn't quite ready we might have lost Bartulis to another team.

On the bright side for Bartulis, I think he looks stronger this year. He used to be pretty easy to outmuscle, but so far he looks better in the corners and in front of the net. Granted, it's only pre-season, but still.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote