View Single Post
Old
09-27-2011, 03:37 PM
OldSchoolCaps84

vCash: 500
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but I was curious about the Veteran Minor League Player designation. According to the CBA, a player (skater) can be designated a VMLP once they have played in 320 professional games in North America (NHL, AHL or ECHL). That number is 180 games for goaltenders. The exception to this is if the player/goaltender has been on an NHL roster for more than 80 games over the prior two seasons, or more than 40 in the season immediately prior. Since the language is "games on an NHL roster" and not "games played", it means that games in which the player was on the NHL roster but scratched still count toward the 80/40 number.

My question is whether this still holds true for playoff scratches. For example, when Hershey's season ended and Patrick McNeill was called up to Washington for the second round series against Tampa, do the 4 times that he was one of the Caps healthy scratches count toward the 80/40 number? Or is there an exception made for playoff call-ups? The CBA doesn't address this, so I assume that they do count, but I wanted to get some clarification.