View Single Post
Old
10-25-2003, 09:59 PM
kruezer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss
Maybe puck pursuit isn't the trap, but lining four across the blue line, or three on the pk is. Thats not true puck pursuit, thats make them dump it in (ala trap) and then persue. Another form of the trap. The Flames do play it, as San Jose did. The Oilers do not play that, they play high pressure, all the way down the line. Admittedly, tonight the Flames style worked, same as the last time they played. BUT.... the Oilers simply got outworked this night, and didn't deserve to win.
But lining 3 or 4 across the blue-line on the PK is NOT the trap, its called penalty killing, I mean NHL teams don't just drop back and allow the team to enter the zone and set up there PP, thats a ridiculous thought IMO. The Oilers do exactly the same thing on the PK. I mean there is always someone popping out before the opposition crosses center to challenge, and I think the Flames forced the Oilers to turn the puck over more on that same play than the Oilers could on the Flames. When looking at San Jose vs. say Minny think of it as a lower case look at the Ottawa-NJ comparison, Ottawa plays puck-pursuit hence there more goals scored than NJ. San Jose played more like Ottawa (check there goal stats when Sutter coached them) and in comparison Minny plays more like NJD, they play the counter-attack system.

The Oilers simply turned the puck over to Calgary more often then the Flames did to the Oilers. This was BECAUSE OF Calgary's high puck-pressure.